Author Topic: kanjibrowze for ppc?  (Read 13063 times)

jonas

kanjibrowze for ppc?
« on: January 25, 2006, 05:19:10 PM »
Any plans of porting Kanjibrowze to the PPC? and if not, do you know of a good dictionary program for the PPC? (Japanese <-> English)

Konstantin

Re: kanjibrowze for ppc?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 05:48:34 PM »
Any plans of porting Kanjibrowze to the PPC? and if not, do you know of a good dictionary program for the PPC? (Japanese <-> English)

Yes, we want to port Kanjibrowze to the PPC.
But do not expect it soon.
The main issue for us is an IME to enter Kanji.

As an alternative solution you can try Glenn Rosenthal's JWPce

Regards,
Konstantin

jonas

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 01:03:38 AM »
well, my ppc is japanese, so ime is included :) but i guess thats not an option for everyone. thanks for the jwpce hint tho!

saito_j

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 09:46:47 AM »
Hello,
I have a french pocket pc and Installed bagog Ime,
it works perfectly well.
you can find more info at :
http://www.firstloox.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4510&page=12&pp=15
(read the full thread for how to install)

stackzrockz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 03:35:58 PM »
The ABSOLUTE BEST Japanese IME for mobile devices is a little known program called Decuma Japanese.  With Decuma, you just copy down what you see (correct stroke order helps but isn't required) and it turns it into Japanese for you.  It is very fast, very accurate, and you can use it on non-Japanese PPCs (Palm version also available).

It is much better than the built-in IMEs, even better than that of a native Japanese PPC, IMHO.  The one problem is that getting the Japanese version is a little difficult - I had to have the help of a Japanese friend to purchase it since its only through an all Japanese site - and navigating the order system was impossible for me.  But here are the links:

general info:

http://www.zicorp.com/DecumaJapanese.htm

trial version/ordering:

http://www.zicorp.com/eProducts/Decuma/?page=decumaJapanese

A program that I've had god luck with as a dictionary on the PPC is by Ectaco.  It isn't too big and it runs pretty quick.  It does not have all the words that Jim Breem's dictionary and others, but it has most everything I look up.  It comes with an IME so that you can use Japanese input (multiple input options, like kana or romaji conversion).  This is the IME that I use when I want a keyboard for input rather than Decuma's handwriting recognition.

saito_j

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 02:14:08 AM »
What 's the difference with the microsoft ime?
ms ime I like :

-Auto complete (You can draw the kanji and a list of possible is displayed)

-Multibox (you have 2 boxes of recognition so you can write faster by alterning the box you write in)

-radical list, and stroke list is also available but I don't use it offen

to the ms ime I add the pobox which is azerty keyboard that react just like the ime on windows xp. for exemple you type k-a you will get ka and the possible kanji's...(it will also recognise several words based on the dictionnary)

And the best to all that: it's free!

plus on decuma's web site I found out that  :
"Please note that Decuma Japanese is not compatible with Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition."
I have a loox 720 so...

« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 02:18:25 AM by saito_j »

napurenon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 03:43:22 PM »
Yeah, if you install Decuma onto a Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition device, the device locks up at startup and you have to do a hard reset to remove Decuma.
I've used Decuma on a PPC 2002 device and it's very nice.
After reading about the bagog Ime in this forum I installed it last night and am very pleased. I think the Character Autocomplete is by far the best

bkzk7188

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 11:44:28 AM »
I'm using EBPocket and it works like a charm. Looking up a word in 10+ full-fledged, commercial dictionaries takes about 3 seconds. I only have to tap and hold the word in Stackz, copy and jump to the EBPocket tab (WkTask will display tabs on the Taskbar).

I've also replaced KanjiBrowze with EBWin, the Windows version.

Read more about EBPocket here: http://www.japaneselanguagetools.com/ (no it's not my site)

details