Author Topic: First lines of a card not displayed  (Read 9242 times)

houkouhaikai

• View Profile
First lines of a card not displayed
« on: May 20, 2006, 11:10:30 PM »
I've been hesitating to write this as it is probably already known...or maybe a lot to do to change.
I'd be surprised if it's not known yet...except if there is something that makes me a special victim of it.

Whole lines of an entry are not displayed unless I resize the testing/learning window.

Before resize

After resize

Fortunately if I press the edit button I can, as there is a scroll bar, always find out if stackz has eaten an entry without 'searching' for it by resizing the window randomly until the entry comes out.

I'm already used to it...but it's still one of the most annoying things there is in stackz.
Each card needs another size to display all entries.
Do I need to mention that this is annoying? Resizing and resizing every time for every single card...except for those that only have one line.
It's really a miracle I've gotten used to it...

I think...if it's possible that a scroll bar appears if the edit button is pressed when it doesn't fit...wouldn't it be also possible to show this bar if not the whole entry of the card isn't shown outside the edit mode?
Well perfect would of course be if this didn't occur at all...though the above suggestion would of course suffice.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 11:15:44 PM by houkouhaikai »

Chris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: First lines of a card not displayed
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 09:31:13 AM »
Thanks for letting us know this issue!

This might be related to the font you are using. Sometimes the calculations for the width requirements are not precise... I tried to make sure that it works with all fonts, but well...

If you use the default font configuration (MSGotic or MSMincho, 12, regular), it should work correctly. What font/size are you using? And could you please send me a sample file which shows the problem? This will help me to reproduce and probably fix it.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 09:50:40 AM by Chris »

houkouhaikai

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 12:55:48 PM »
I'm usually using HGP行書体 size 24.
In this example however it was HGP明朝B, happened to both.

Due to your hint I just did following experiments:
MS ゴシック* 24  still happens
MS ゴシック 12  still happens...actually does the text size even matter? It resizes the text on its own in test/learning mode.
MS 明朝* 12 still happens.
(those are gothic and minchou in japanese)

Of course I changed the font and then closed and reloaded the file in order to make the changes apply.
(on a sidenote: how about a little popup that tells you something like  'You have to reopen all active files which use that language for the changes to apply' (best would be with a checkbox, 'do not display this dialog again') this could help users. Perfectly unimportant, just saying there is room for improvements)
Back to the main topic...a file that shows this behavior? No problem. This I don't really know your E-Mail address I took the liberty of uploading it at rapidshare. I'm terribly sorry to cause an inconvenience, but it should not too bad since files of that size do not have a wait time (I think).

http://rapidshare.de/files/21005040/evillinebreak.szm.html
(Note the defitions are, if not marked otherwise, taken from koujien fifth version and are therefore...property of the author? Anyways just wanting to point out for legal reasons that there are small parts of this product contained)
To reproduce just go into testing/learning mode, wait till you find an entry with multiple subpoint (which are...most of them?) and resize a bit...you will encounter disappearing lines. That is at least how it's here.

Thank you for your effords...and good luck with this one. If you cannot reproduce or fix it...then never mind.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 01:03:52 PM by houkouhaikai »

Chris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 05:05:21 PM »
I just checked out your file - it worked fine on my PC, I can't duplicate the problem...

You specified some font names written in Japanese - are you using a Japanese version of Windows? This would explain the difference  :o

And I assume you are using Stackz 2006, the latest version?

Note - you should not be required to reopen files after a font change! In fact you can change the font even from within an open test or learn dialog without closing it: One of the toolbar icons takes you to the file options dialog, in its first tab ("Entries") you can change the language settings of the attributes, and thereby also the font of that language.

It looks like an update trigger is missed on your system, resulting in the two issues you are describing (missed resizing and missed font update).

« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 05:08:04 PM by Chris »

houkouhaikai

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 05:20:43 PM »
First, I don't use a Japanese version of windows...after all in windows xp that would be pointless.
In order to assure that all Japanese programs run normally I have set everything to Japanese in the region&language settings. This must have caused the font names to become Japanese.
Secondly, I of course use the 2006 version. I am well aware that reporting stuff for old versions is perfectly pointless.
As for the font change...wow ...you are right. If i change the font while testing from those options it applies the changes immediately. Whereas if I close the testing/learning dialog and then change it by going to
dictionaries-->setup-->(language) change and change the font here and then open a new testing dialog then the change is not applied.

Chris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 07:39:51 PM »
OK, I arranged to reproduce it. It's not related to the Japanese settings at all... it will take some time until I find the time to dig into it correctly however.

Concerning the language change, you are right, an update is missing there indeed... thanks for mentioning!

details